Monday 21 September 2009

The rules

Usually there are a set of rules for writing - plan out what your story will be like in advance, do yer sequence of events in the story, write it, edit it, edit it, edit it, then begin the hard bit - getting it published.

I don't see rules as rules, they're kind of more like guidelines. If I plan out a story in advance, more chance than not the plan seems less appetising and I would veer away and write something else entirely. Sometimes I don't know where I'm going and this injects quite a bit of unpredictability into the story. This doesn't mean that I can't put in intelligent twists into the story, but it does make it more difficult.

I've been breaking rules already with this blognovel, I've got a basic skeleton for how everything is going to pan out, but the parts I've been publishing haven't been edited greatly. Plus, once they're published, they can be edited still but maybe I should leave them the way they are, imperfect, but not necessarily faulty. Sod any grammatical or structural mistakes, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment