Thursday 1 October 2009

Intergalactic Hall of Heroes - The Chalice of Souls

Instantly, all of the wizards there began to discuss this last request with each other, as well as questioning Wolagnub’s methods. Seconds later, they agreed on a spokesperson amongst themselves, a wispy moustachioed sorcerer dressed in a gold robe, who stood forward to address the doctor.

“Doctor Wolagnub. Sorry, my name is Trenzar. Thank you. We may have difficulty in accepting Rondar’s dying wish, though these are testing times. I, myself, am willing to consider it. We must consult with our brethren, and of course, we must report everything to Lord Pommenby. Please retain the corpse for inspection.”
“That’ll mean building some kind of morgue.”
“That’s your problem now.”

Two hours later, all wizards began to gather in the top room for their ad-hoc conference, waiting of course for Lord Pommenby to arrive. Several persons had knocked on his door earlier on and called for him, but they just heard snoring from within. And farting apparently.

Presently, groups of wizards were discussing matters between themselves, just their own feelings, and general day to day stuff.

The gold robed sorcerer from earlier, impatiently rose up to address everyone else.

“If Lord Pommenby will not meet with us, then I suggest we discuss this matter without him. I have something to say, and I will do not want to permit protocol to silence me. Will all those who wish to proceed, raise your right hand now.”

Everyone else promptly raised their right hands.

“There is but one point on this agenda. The release of the Dark Sorcerer Grimchan, as per the dying words of Sigbie Rondar. Before I open this to you all, I wish to make my opinion heard. I understand why he asked this of us of his fellow inmate and I was one of those who fought against Grimchan’s Steel Army. He was a formidable foe, gifted, knowledgeable. He may be the key to salvation that we have been looking for, if we can get him onto our side.”

An angry wizard rose, dressed in scarlet, throwing his scrolls to the floor in disgust.

“Exalted Trenzar, you have my respect no longer, for these are the wishes of a criminal! An evil man doing a favour for another. Has desperation finally got to you now? That you have the... audacity... to even consider letting this... this... murderer free? No sooner than after his release would he turn on us. I read his trial. Unrepentant, proud, laughing. And you yet think this madman can save us all? Our best hope is him rotting in that cell for all time!” he spat out.
“Well, then, Grand Mage Cafus, would you kindly tell me what options we have left?”
The other wizards simply spectated silently at this point.

“There may be secret incantations in the tomes. Or we could try what we already know in another location. The shield may be weaker at another point. If we move out-“
“Move out where? This tower is the only safe place on this entire planet! If we all go outside, we would be killed, or even worse, captured. Then there will be no one to save.”
“I hardly think so! As a few of you here may testify, there’s an ancient teleportation disc in the Forest of Eddial. We don’t think the enemy would have found it out. It’s five hundred miles to the East, Elf territory, not close to any major towns or cities. It’s not strategically important to them. We can be in and out.”
“Well, we can test that by sending one of us through. Would you be willing to volunteer then?”
“I have no problem in instructing my apprentice.”
“Afraid you may be wrong, that you can’t send yourself?” mocked Trenzar.
“W-well, nothing of the sort. My apprentice has the experience to defend himself, should it be necessary. And if the coast is clear, we can all go through.”
“By that you mean your apprentice is expendable?”
“At least he’s not a stupid bloody idiot, unlike some here!”

“Silence!” someone boomed, then the two turned and looked.

The olive skinned Grand Sorcerer Ardnal entered the fray, his harsh features alone willing the two to silence.

“There will be no petty bickering here. This is neither the time or place. Am I under the impression that you are merely desperate men willing to try anything?”

The gold robed sorcerer replied.

“No, Ardnal, merely acting out a dead man’s final request. Is that too much to ask?”
“One criminal requesting the release of another?” retorted Ardnal, “How blind you must be? And you, Grand Mage Cafus, are blatantly trying to hide a mission of abject suicide! Well, have we abandoned all reasonable thought now?”

Cafus angrily replied to this, “Ardnal, Ardnal, why don’t you just tell us all what we should do next? Nothing? Or some random spell from the texts like we have been doing? How long do you think we all have left here? Weeks? Days? We all know it. They’re making the final push, wiping out the last resistance. We’ve got to do SOMETHING for God’s sake!”
“For the past month, I have been doing my own research into the shield, to find a way to penetrate it. To see if I could devise an untested method.”

“Secret research?” someone shouted, “Aren’t we all supposed to be working together on this? He’s ready to stab us in the back!”

This prompted much jeering from the other wizards, finger pointing and shouts of “Traitor” at Ardnal, who really looked like he couldn’t care.

“Silence!” he boomed in response, “If you want a reason, you shall have it. I have a doctorate in Shielding Mechanics and was asked by Lord Pommenby himself to conduct this research!”

“So do I!” called one of the wizards, a short, bespectacled fellow, “So it does comes as great surprise why I wasn’t asked. This is an insult. Now I find you’re in collusion with Pommenby and I think he has a lot to answer for!”
“Fine, you may take a look at the research I have been undertaking. I’m sure you will find it most fascinating.”
“That’s all I need to know. But being able to do that earlier would have been nice.”

Suddenly, the door noisily burst open and in stumbled Doctor Wolagnub.

“Oh, sorry, I forgot we had a meeting. Could I bring a friend? Is that alright with you?”

Then, the sounds of shuffling echoed around the room as numerous bums and shoes swivelled round to stare at the intruder.

“This meeting is for wizards only! Don’t you have patients to attend to? Can’t you read the notice on the door?” Cafus shouted.
“What, that, erm – Meeting – Wizards Only. Well I am a wizard... sort of?”
“Just get whatever it is you want over and done with and get out!”
“You’re a little tetchy and may I say, very rude. Let me introduce my guest!”

Wolagnub stepped back and gestured acknowledgably with his hands to the mysterious wizard who walked in, who was dressed head to toe in a big, grey, hooded gown that shadowed its face.

Cafus shouted, “And who are you? Have you just arrived? We weren’t aware anyone else was coming?”

It replied gratingly, “I’m surprised that none of you recognised me. Felt me coming. The borrowed cloak, maybe? Perhaps if I reveal my face?”

All the wizards were silent. The hooded man grabbed his hood with both hands and pulled it back, revealing a bony, grey visage, who stared down at the gasping wizards gleefully.

“We need to talk, me and you lot.”

© Luke O'Sullivan, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment